This is one of my guilt pleasures! Zucchini lasagna with ground beef. It’s hearty, cheesy and loaded with flavor. I served the lasagna at family gathering last weekend and it made an excellent job. Both my family and guests fell for it. They said that the lasagna also melted in their mouth right with the first bite. Some of my guests even asked me for the recipe to make it at home. Well, this really made me happy till a week later.
Swapped pasta with zucchini, this lasagna is a “worth-serving” dinner for keto and low-carb eaters. Those who are adopting a healthy diet and lifestyle should never miss it, too. The taste and flavor stay the same but the carbs you receive reduces to 8g per serving. Amazing, right?
Zucchini is one of the most popular summer squash. If you are finding something good made with it, just give this zucchini lasagna a go. It makes summer meals less boring and also spice up your cooking life. As a cooking lover, I just feel so good when getting a good recipe on hand. And this is now added to my family cookbook. Cooking time will be more enjoyable!
Zucchini LasagnaCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is one of my guilt pleasures! Zucchini lasagna with ground beef. It’s hearty, cheesy and loaded with flavor.
20 oz zucchini, peeled
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups (5 oz) mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup (2.2 oz) parmesan cheese, finely grated
15 oz canned unsalted tomato sauce
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- For the meat sauce
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Drizzle with some olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef. Stir occasionally until it’s no longer pink, about 5 minutes, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Stir in tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then gradually reduce the heat as needed. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce gets thicken; stirring frequently.
- Add oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir for a minute until well combined. Turn off the heat.
- For the lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Set aside an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- For each zucchini, slice off both ends and discard. Slice the zucchini along its length into 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick strips.
- Lay 1/3 zucchini slices along the bottom of the baking dish (overlap each other).
- Spread ½ of the meat sauce evenly onto zucchini layer. Top with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with another zucchini layer, a meat sauce layer, and a cheese layer.
- Top with remaining zucchini slices. Add another 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on top. Give the baking dish a quick shake so the cheeses spread out and settle into cracks.
- Uncover and bake until the lasagna is golden brown on top, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes to set and cease bubbling. Slice and serve.